Function Of Zinc In The Body
As an essential element in all life, zinc is paramount to performing biological processes in all living organisms.
- strengthens immunity - regulates production of cells
- proven effective in fighting infections and can even reduce the duration and severity of the common cold.
- boots brain activity and memory
- vital during pregnancy - zinc is required for cells to multiply
- reduces fatigue and mood swings
- necessary for taste and smell
- renews skin cells, keeps hair and nails healthy
- treats menstrual problems
- defends prostate gland and helps maintain sperm count
- paramount to a healthy, active lifestyle
- activates growth in infants, children, and young adults (4)
Inadequate zinc causes poor fetal development, and increases the severity of diarrhea, pneumonia, and malaria. Zinc deficiency is especially prevalent in children. It is estimated 450,000 children die annually as a direct result of too little zinc in their diet (1).
Related: Importance of Zinc Infographic.